Monday, August 22

We allow naked statues outside and in art museums. Should we allow people to do the same?

In response to last week’s question, "We allow naked statues outside and in art museums.  Should we allow people to do the same?," my social media friend Mark purported, "Yes, but I will be the curator. Like art, some people just do not belong on view."   Yet my organizational behavior guru Marya preferred, "I'm all for freedom, but I'll take a little surprise too.  ;-)  "

My dad's beach buddy Bob observed, "We do.  Ever take a stroll down Broadway in NY?" which recalled my technology friend Gary and me having a similar experience with the annual Bay-to-Breakers run in San Fran.

My engineering cousin Dave simply said, "No," which my cycling friend Ted endorsed, "Naked Americans are not a pretty site these days! I vote no!"  Then my temple friend Tracey added, "Ew! Just ew, because those that are the least 'artistic' when nude would be the most likely to strut their 'art.' "

My temple friend Richard suggested, "Only if they have perfect bodies and are willing to paint themselves white and stand perfectly still while the pigeons poop on them.  Of course, during the winter, their skin would turn blue, which could be a problem. Might need another coat of white paint!"

My sister-in-law and sailor Lorrie cautioned, "Um, the answer is obvious:  if all men looked like the David and all women looked like Venus de Milo only with arms, there would be no problem with folks walking around naked."  To this, my hiking friend Kelly concurred, "Only if they have roughly the same physique as the naked statues!  Of course, there’s plenty of room for interpretation there.  For example, few have the buff torso of Michelangelo’s David, but many of us resemble David in another key aspect…   (Should I request anonymity for that one?)."

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Is it more fun when you can't see clearly?

The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.
Hal

To my Atlanta friends and others who are in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, please join me on Sun or Mon at Noshfest -- a community event of Jewish food and fun, including a bagel eating contest.  Click here for Noshfest details.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.

No comments: