Monday, September 12

When is a critique not criticism?

In response to last week’s question, "When is a critique not criticism?," my writing and sailing friend Rich counseled, "A critique is always criticism when it comes from your Mother in Law, Wife, Boss or Cat.  It is never a criticism when it comes from your Dog."

My cycling friend Ted concluded, "When you are NOT married to the critiquer!" to which my equestrian friend Royce agreed, "When your wife or significant other is the critic ."

My PR friend Stan believes "When it’s favorable."   My social media friend Mark clarified this, " 'Every time' from the person giving the analysis. 'Never' for the person receiving the analysis."

And my neighbor Al shared his advice, "When it is done right.  A critique is a detailed analysis.  It does not have to be negative.  (See how I critiqued your question?)"

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

If someone "rips you a new one", then what happened to the "old" one?  from my friend Bruce

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!
Hal


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.

No comments: