Monday, September 26

In response to last week’s question, "Is there a good pirate?," my dad's beach buddy Bob concluded, "Now let me see.....the one that gave us the exam questions ahead of time.....or the computer application I didn't have to buy."

My equestrian friend Royce queried, "And how do you define 'good' [thank you bill Clinton]?," as my writing and sailing friend Rich shared, "The 5 year old is a good pirate, all he wants is adventure and booty all the live long day.  Not often, but sometimes you will catch the wild glint in his eye, the mischievous smile on his face.  You will see the pirate still lives in the 55 year old; all he wants all the live long day is adventure and maybe a little booty from time to time." 

My temple friend Richard declared, "Having grown up in central Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh), I am obliged to respond with Honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, and Andrew McCutchen."

While my cousin Greg recalled from a Seinfield episode, "But I don't wanna be a pirate....," my sailing friend Michael replied, "Let's not have an ARGH-ument about that matey   Why are Pirates called "Pirates"?  They just arrrrrr." 

My network engineering friend Andrew pointed out, "I am taking an online course right now on "R Programming" (not kidding!)*   I guess this would be an officially approved "Pirate" software language, although saying that may get it blacklisted at certain organizations." 

My cycling friend Ted shared, "I know of only one truly good salty dog, and he's just as adept with two wheels as he is with a schooner.  He kinda has that authentic pirate look about him, and his thick pirate brogue is hard to understand, but we all know him as Cap'n Hal! But I still wouldn't trust him with my booty!"

And my social media Mark noted, "Aaarrr rated is as good as they get." 

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Is it good being easy?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!
Hal

PS….
My new sailing friend Liz replied to the prior week's question, "When If someone 'rips you a new one', then what happens to the 'old' one?," with "Shed the 1st like an old layer of skin. Smooth the new one!" 

Now is time to make plans for 9/19/17 as the next TLaPD (Talk Like a Pirate Day).

*More on Andrew's class:  https://www.coursera.org/learn/r-programming/   R is actually invented in New Zealand and used worldwide by data scientists in the Microsoft environment. Of course, some people would call Microsoft "a bunch of greedy, looting pirates", but that is a different discussion."

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.


No comments: