Monday, April 10

Does punctuation matter?

Responses to last week’s question, "Does punctuation matter?" were both text and images (as you'll see below).

My equestrian friend Royce advised, "Only if you are writing" to which my birthday bud Jon called out, "Yes!  Yes? Yes…." as my neighbor Al pointed out "What? What! What."  And my college roomie John excitedly replied, "YES."

My collaboration and running friend Andy announced, "I'm a fan of commas!" and provided most of the images below.

My birthday bud Adam S declared, "Punctuation does not matter. Period. Ha. (see image of Stop A Head).  And my temple friend Vivian concurred, "I must say that since I was a language arts teacher, punctuation does matter,,,!!???!!" 

While my sailing friend Norm declared, "In this day and age of texting - WTF##@@!! cares?" however, my dad's beach buddy Bob responded, "Certainly, it can change the entire meaning of a sentence" and here are great examples:

My temple friend Tracey, "As someone with an English degree... oh dear God YES! It's the difference in "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Lets eat Grandma!" which my cousin Greg and sailing friend Mike concurred.

Tracey continued, "My daddy just loves cooking and eating, his children, and his pets. OR, My daddy loves cooking and eating his children and his pets. 

My adjunct executive friend Lindy revealed, "As a grammar nerd, I have to say YES! Here are some examples:
·         "That that is is That that is not is not" becomes, when you add punctuation: That that is, is. That that is not, is not.
·         And slightly off-color, but we're all adults here: "Help your Uncle Jack off the the horse", when again a simple comma tells us to Help your Uncle, Jack, off the horse.

And my temple friend Lesley Litt pointed out, "It matters now, but didn't when they wrote the Torah apparently. . .or it mattered, but people didn't know it did."

ENJOY the great collection of image below from Andy and other.

Then please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

What's the best thing to do with your peeps this weekend?

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal




Wish my friends and family observing these holidays a Happy and Meaningful Passover, and a Happy and Meaningful Easter.

No comments: