Monday, November 13

Can you be predictably irrational?

In response to last week’s question, “Can you be predictably irrational?,” my birthday bud Jon declared, “Always.  Sometimes.”

My neighbor Al acknowledged, “Yes as long as there are women in this world,” to which my social media friend Mark added , “I refuse to comment this week, as my desire to remain married continues.”

My PR friend Stan cautioned, “Sure, just try to talk to me before I’ve had my coffee. After that, my irrationality is entirely UN-predictable.”

My thought-leadership friend Paul replied, “Dang, Hal.  One of my favorite books over the last few years IS “Predictably Irrational” by Dan Ariely.   Fun read for marketers or change leaders - turns out the ‘bad’ news is we don’t always act as economic or marketing theory would suggest (not rational decision-makers); the ‘good’ news is we behave consistently, so easy to adjust.”

My writing and sailing friend Rich called out, “If the sun came up this morning, it is pretty predictable that some knucklehead out there will cause me to have a nutty.”

My temple friend Tracey noted, “Anyone who is irrational a lot can be predictably irrational. I have several relatives like that.”

My temple friend Richard wrote, “I believe the headlines these days from Washington, DC, make the answer self-evident.  My cycling friend Ted replied, “Just watch CNN!! No particular president's name mentioned!” to which my temple friend Kevin pointed out, “Donald Trump.”

My equestrian friend Royce admitted, “In my case, some may want to know if I can be predictably "rational" while another thought leadership friend (and newest contributor) Anand wrote, “No, but I can be unpredictably rational.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

      How do we know if animals need glasses?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

There were additional responses to the prior week’s question that didn’t get shared:  My photographer friend Thomas shared that, “A good scare is when the universe warns you about something while you can still do something about it.”  My social media friend Mark replied, “A good scare is one that is something that could really happen. And endures for a while.” My jeweler friend Bill described his good scare as, “a deposit in your bank account that you did not make.”

My temple friend Richard shared, “I had a sudden, albeit belated, though, “A good scare would be for a nonagenarian (90+ years of age) man to be named in a paternity suit by a 20-year-old woman. Of course, that might be more a source of pride than fear.”  And my videographer friend Ivan  wrote, “Joe. Joe MAMA!!!!  Ahhhh yes, mothers guilt trips, along with her favorite local wine (in NY whiney voice) “Why can’t we go to Miami?”  The Vatican is probably the best ticket seller of guilt trips having satellite offices all over the globe with agents operating the offices everywhere.  The Jews got tickets for guilt trips too of course.  How many Jews does it take to screw in a light bulb. (in NY whiney voice) "Don’t mind me, I’ll just sit here in the dark.”

Thu, Nov 16 will be an inspiring, uplifting evening to kick-off the holiday season.  I’m involved in the planning of the 13th Annual Ecumenical Thanksgiving Celebration, which is in Marietta and streamed online.  Here is event info to attend in person and if you want to watch it live.  NOTE:  If you are attending in person, plan to arrive closer to 6:30p and carpool if possible.

Healthcare coverage note if you’re in ATL and looking for individual or group healthcare.  There is a disruptive solution to replace Blue Cross, Kaiser and AmBetter that starts with unlimited primary healthcare with no co-pays for $100/month, and combines with catastrophic coverage with no deductible.  Connect with me or visit www.HIPnation.com for more info.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: