Monday, March 19

Why do people want to be Irish?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Why do people want to be Irish?,” my writing and sailing friend Rich called out, “The Blarney Marketing Agency’ while my college roomie John believed it is “to look for Erin go Bragh(less).”

My cycling friend Ted concluded, “To dress up in Green, put on a thick brogue, and not feel guilty about having another Guinness!” as my equestrian friend Royce agreed, “It's a good excuse to drink heavily in mid-March. Sort of like a rite of spring.”

As my sailing friend Kurt suggested, “Why don’t we discuss this over some Jamison,” another sailing friend Norm explained, “I've never understood why American's are so fond and proud of their (sometimes dubious) Irish heritage, whereas you don't get many claiming to be English at all. Heck, you even get more people who are proud to say that they're German-American, or 25%/50%/75% German, than there are people who are proud to have an English heritage. Obama recently went to Ireland to celebrate his ancestry, following in the footsteps of a good number of presidents before him. Though I thought Obama was part African and part Hawaiian. Me, I'm Jewish/Irish (or Irish/Jewish) on March 17th!”

My cousin Sunny, and author of Flow Formula, shared, “A funny story about me, I had my DNA done and no surprise that I’m 98% eastern European Jewish. The other 2%?   Irish. Now how did that guy get off the island and all the way over there?   ;-) 

My temple friend Bob replied, “So they'll have an excuse after waking up in the drunk tank and then standing before the judge the day after St. Patrick's Day.”

And my social media friend Mark offered, “A toast back at ya: ‘To your enemies’ enemies’ and congrats on the new grandchild. We’ll all drink to her long and happy life on Saturday. And on yours too.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

In the Spring, what does a young man’s fancy to turn?  (with due respect to Lord Alfred Tennyson’s poetry)

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

It took Golden Retrievers to break the NCAA spell of a 16th ranked team to beat a #1 ranked team.  Congrats to my hometown UMBC Golden Retrievers for shocking the UVA Cavaliers.  Another reason to love goldens as we have foster dog #79 at home now.  And can alma mater Syracuse be considered Cinderella for making it to the Sweet 16?

Happy Milestone Birthday to my writing and sailing friend Rich.  He is a true treasure.
               
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: