Monday, May 14

Someone mentioned a pet fish. What makes something a pet?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Someone mentioned a pet fish.  What makes something a pet?,” my birthday bud Jon recalled, “You bring it into your home, you raise it, you spend lots of money on it, it gives you love and not a damn thing else…..oh, wait, that’s children” to which my dad’s beach buddy Bob added, “Whatever comes and begs for a handout.”

My adjunct executive friend Lindy shared, “Well, I know that ownership does not make a pet, otherwise I have a pet car,”

My writing and sailing friend Rich explained, “A pet is something that is not a true part of the family, more like a piece of furniture that needs to be feed and cleaned up after, like a cat or hamster.  A dog on the other hand is full-fledged member of the family.”

My social media friend Mark called out, “It’s all in packaging. Pet Rocks. Pet peeves. Pet giraffes.”

And my temple friend Bob saw things from a very different perspective, “I had my first pet in the back seat of a 1949 Mercury.  It was better than a dog or cat.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Why do all flat surfaces accumulate ‘rubbish?  (from my sailing friend Jim)
 
Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal
              
Another week of great wind; read that as ‘great sailing.’  Anyone want to go on a ‘sails calls’ this month or in June at Lake Lanier?

My sailing friend Glenn replied to the prior week’s question about “How do you make new old friends?,”  adding, “Make friends with people over 70.”

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: