Monday, May 7

How do you make new old friends?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “How do you make new old friends?,” my neighbor Al suggested, “Start early” to which my temple friend Leslie offered an alternative, “Time travel.”

My sailing friend Tom shared, “Belonging to a sailing club has worked for me.  And some young friend too.”

My cycling friend Ted and Utahan friend Bruce called out, “Facebook” to which my managed IT friend Kim added, “Oh, that’s when your Facebook friends unfriend you then a month later ask to be your friend again.”  My interfaith friend Ann’s reply for the non-virtual world, “Develop senility, or just get old.  Now, who are you?”

My collaboration friend Andy (@burnsaj1@mastadon.technology) proposed, “Join a new social network! Learn more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPSbNdBmWKE.  ” 

My dad’s beach buddy Bob advised, “By forcing them to apologize for the stupid things they have done.”  My production mgmt friend Ray suggested, “You make new old friends the exact same way you turn lead into gold. And you treasure those old friends as gold.   Pb (82) to Au (79).”

My social media friend Mark offered, “My friends are all pretty old. If you want to meet them, they can be YOUR new old friends.”

My equestrian friend Royce challenged, “Assuming the friendship ended for a reason, then why would you want to renew? It's like buying re-capped tires. The tread will eventually come off.”

My temple friend Bob counselled, “Go to funerals.  While you're looking at the deceased and thinking, ‘Wow, s/he sure looks natural’, look to your left and right.  You're sure to see people whom you haven't seen in years who are thinking the same thing about you, and you're not in the prone position, yet.  Go out for drinks and renew old friendships by talking about shared memories while you still can.

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Someone mentioned a pet fish.  What makes something a pet?   (With help from my friend Ray)
 
Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal
              
Another week of great wind; read that as ‘great sailing.’  Anyone want to go on a ‘sails calls’ in the 4-6 weeks at Lake Lanier?

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: