Monday, April 30

What is an abhorist? (Arbor Day was last Friday)


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What is an abhorist? (Arbor Day was last Friday), my temple friend Richard explained, “Actually, the word abhorist is not recognized by Merriam-Webster online dictionary.  The correct term would be ‘abhorrer,’ which is someone who abhors something or someone. The dictionary defines the verb ‘abhor’ as  ‘to regard with extreme repugnance; to feel hatred or loathing for; to loathe.’ This, of course, drove me to paraphrase (with slight variations), an old Crosby, Stills, and Nash song: If you can’t beat the one you loathe, loathe the one you’re with.”

My equestrian friend Royce cautioned, “Someone who read Joyce Kilmer's trees and really took it seriously.” 

My collaboration friend Paul noted, “Someone who hates trees” to which my social media friend Mark added, “An abhorist is a developer. Someone who hates trees and spends his life replacing them with concrete and steel.”

My temple friend Tracey warned, “What I am where a select few people are concerned.”

My cycling friend Ted called out, “An Abhorist is anyone that disapproves of #45 and expresses this by tying him to a tree near the Paris Accord!”  And my temple friend Bob surmised, “If you abhor something, it gives you a feeling of complete hatred. Chances are you abhor that kid who used to torture the frogs in biology class.”
And my sailing friend Norm revealed, “An Abhorist is someone that takes care of trees.  One of the largest employers of Abhorist and Foresters in Georgia is Georgia bank's trust departments.  All those pine forests in middle Georgia in family trust need tending!”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

How do you make new old friends?
 
Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal
              
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: