Monday, April 9

When giving a birthday gift, why do you wish ‘many happy returns?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “When giving a birthday gift, why do you wish ‘many happy returns?,”  my social media friend Mark concluded, “It means that when she returns the gift I have given her, that she replaces it with something that makes her happy. And the same for years of returnable gifts to come...many of them.”

My adjunct executive friend Lindy concurred, “Many happy returns, in my life, provides permission to exchange the gift or re-gift it.  As it’s repeatedly re-gifted, there are many happy returns.”

In his first response, my clean-water friend Skip and temple friend Richard agreed, “Because when they return your gift, they will be happy with what they have swapped the gift for.

My writing and sailing friend Rich added, “Clearly this saying originated before the age of Visa gift cards, eliminating both the need to understand the gifted ones needs and the possibility of gifts rejection and return to the store.”

And my dad’s beach buddy Bob observed, “Because you do not want to be forgotten on your birthday.”


Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

What else is certain beside death and taxes?  (thank you Ben Franklin)

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

No comments: