Monday, November 3

What percentage of the candy haul do the parents get for providing the costume and security service while the kids trick or treat?

In response to last week's question, “What percentage of the candy haul do the parents get for providing the costume and security service while the kids trick or treat?,” my friend Tracey has “a 10% candy tax,” which she said the elementary school started. “However, because of my Weight Watchers program, there has been a tax cut this year for the middle-aged class.”

While my wise friend Kathleen wrote, “if the child is under the age of 6, it’s 0% because no one takes candy from a baby,” my birthday bud Jon wrote, “When our daughter was about 2, my wife Ruth had our daughter convinced that Halloween was when kids collect candy for their mothers!” Go Ruth!

My friend Mark, who has successfully done his share of parenting, explained “the House takes a variable % based on quality not quantity but seldom under 15%. It’s the adult’s responsibility to save our kids (plus the neighbors) from too much chocolate. We also trade with the kids if we see something better in their bag.” My cousin Jeff also focused on the quality issue when he wrote, “It depends on what percentage of the total is peanut butter cups.”

My running buddy Tony uses “a sliding scale based on the children's behavior. The parent is the judge and the judge's ruling is final…although there have been cases of candy bribery.”

Back to reality, my cousin Wes and friend Stephanie both thought the parents’ take was “100% of the cavity bill.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Why do the “Secret” Service agents wear outfits that make them so identifiable?

Live well…..laugh often….be happy…have a good week….

No comments: