Monday, March 9

Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time? (and why did you just try?)

In response to last week's question, “Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time? (and why did you just try?),” my sailing friend and writer Rich wrote, “No, for the same reason that milk will only come out of your mouth or nose. (Nose is funnier, even after all these years).”

But my to-be-marathon runner friend Tony said, “Yes, as long as you are not running; otherwise, you’ll trip. And yes I 'experimented' to verify my hypothesis.” My college roomie John added, “Yes, and while pitching (in Bull Durham), you breathe through your eyelids. We even breathe through our pores.”

My friend Tracey added, “Yes, and cats have a membrane in the roof of their mouth that allows them to taste what they smelled. It's called a flemens membrane. So cats can do it too. Knowing how much you love cats, I just HAD to share that with you. ”

Fortunately, technology friend David is also a musician. “As a musician who plays wind instruments I found this question unusual, in that it didn't make me think/wonder at all....the answer is yes. However a more interesting variation is: Can you breathe OUT your mouth and IN your nose at the same time? The answer to that is yes, with practice(*).

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Is dark faster than light? (from my new friend Tony)

Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…
Hal

(*) Circular breathing: Learn more on Google. Factoid: Lenny Pickett of Tower of Power, known for using a circular breathing process to hold a single note for five minutes.

No comments: