Monday, March 23

Why is a toilet called a head when that is the last choice for a body part to use it?

In response to last week's question, “Why is a toilet called a head when that is the last choice for a body part to use it?”, my comedic cable buddy Bruce wrote, “It’s called a head because that’s where people do their best thinking.” My dad’s beach buddy Bob observed, “It is also called a throne and that is where the head of the family sits.” And my family friend Alan concluded, “It is because you’re always "heading" there.”

“For the drinker in all of us,” reports my witty yet of high integrity colleague Chris, “who require a toilet in extreme times when you must “hug the white wishing well and sell Buicks,” the “head” is the only body part required for this activity. It is also commonly known that 2 heads are better than 1.” My friend Richard agreed, adding “Based upon the behavior of some of my friends after an evening of too much revelry, I question your assertion!” My birthday bud Jon wrote, “Swirlees.”

My running partner’s husband Ted wrote, “Au Contraire!! From the last few fishing trips, I remember well my head was in it for most of the trip!”

My EarthLink buddy Luther wrote, “Never thought I would do this....But I can answer this one from my navy days.......partially that is...Seems in the Viking and Pirate days they placed the so called "bathroom facility" on the forward part of the ship. Seems it would be a bad idea to be downwind of such a facility, but they were warmongering vikings and pirates so intellect is suspect.” My new work friend Michelle added, “the toilet was positioned at the bow [or head] of a boat. It has become nearly exclusive to the Navy in last century.”

My sailing and writing buddy Rich concurred, adding “Having been on a downwind course on a modern boat where the noxious material is ground to fine pulp and ejected behind the boat I can personally vouch for the wisdom of their choice. The Brits refer to the seat of ease as the Loo which is short for looward. Looward is the old way of saying leeward, which is the direction you wish to pee if you do not want a shower of Eau De Pew.”

My civil engineer neighbor Bob realizes “by being in the very front of the ship, the area naturally became cleaned by splashing waves,” to which my friend Tracey added, “gotta love that salty-fresh smell!”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

How do you know you didn’t dream that?

Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…
Hal

Happy Birthday to my birthday buds Adam and Jon.

History: Also from my friend Tracey, the use of the term "head" to mean toilet dates back to at least 1708, when English privateer and Governor of the Bahamas, Woodes Rogers, used the word to refer to a ship's toilet in his book, A Cruising Voyage Around the World. Another early usage is in Tobias Smollett's novel of travel and adventure, Roderick Random, published in 1748.

No comments: