Monday, October 5

Are all generalizations dangerous?

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Have you ever met a happy medium? (with help from my friend Patti)

In response to last week’s questions, “Are all generalizations dangerous?”, leave it to my friend Vivian to question the question when she responded, “It depends how you define dangerous. I remember when our "elders" thought that Elvis "the pelvis" was dangerous, and all we girls did was swoon and scream --in a good girly way.”

My friend Alan, whose first born gets married later this month, determined “It depends what (s)he is a General of.”

“Generally speaking in general terms,” my colleague Jeff wrote, “I would say that all generalization are generally dangerous.” My colleague Effie added, “Yes, just as the only absolute truth is that there are no absolute truths, and the only thing that never changes is that everything always changes.”

My sailing buddy Scott wrote, “Actually, all generalizations are wrong…even this one.” My colleague Swany challenged, “Only when they come from the narrowminded, i.e. Rush Limbaugh.”

Yet my dad’s beach buddy Bob believes “the ones that are dangerous are those that never get to the point....and waste your time.” As support, my neighbor Al shared psychologist Abraham Maslow’s theory called Eupsychian Management Policy (http://www.maslow.org/sub/assumptions.php). Three of Maslow’s assumptions are

1. Assume everyone is to be trusted.
2. Assume everyone is to be informed as completely as possible of as many facts and truths as possible, i.e., everything relevant to the situation.
3. Assume in all your people the impulse to achieve…
Now those will make you go Hmmm.

Live well...laugh often and heartily….be happy and have a good week.

No comments: