Monday, January 11

Can you succeed at making a resolution to have no resolutions?

In response to last week’s questions, “Can you succeed at making a resolution to have no resolutions?”, my friends Kevin, Scott and Vivian agreed, “Yes, and I have for many years.” My sailing friend Vaughn concurred, “Absolutely, I have not made a resolution for years and I have been very successful at doing nothing.”

My friend Tracey proudly wrote, “That could possibly be the only one I would ever keep. (I quit making them years ago.)” My neighbor Al yearned, “I'd be happy if I could just keep ANY resolution that I've ever made.” To this, my sailing friend Kurt suggested, “Step 1 is to not make the afore mentioned resolution.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob said, “I do it every year by refusing to diet and cementing the pledge with a heaping dish of vanilla ice cream topped with a splash of Royal Chambord.”

My while new friend Patrick concluded, “Only if you're very resolute,” my colleague Bob advised, “This can be done only if done subconsciously. Any conscious thought in the matter precludes success. A lack of ambition, shame and self consciousness will all benefit this endeavor.”

My cousin Wes challenged the logic when he wrote, “The statement is a resolution, therefore one was made. This is kin the false but popular statement, "There is no absolute truth", which of course is an absolute truth statement, making at least one absolute truth.” To this, my sailing and writing friend Rich concluded, “The very act of resolving not to resolve will cause an immediate failure of one’s resolve. To sorta quote the nearly famous Hal quoting the more famous Yoda. " There is no resolve, only do or do not."

“As a litigator, if you resolve to have no resolutions, you end up having more trials. In the private sector, that means you make more money!” wrote my birthday bud Jon.

Then Jon added a final thought, “It’s all a matter of timing. If I make a resolution in late 2009 not to make any resolutions in 2010, I can easily succeed! (“Depends what your definition of ‘Is” is.”)”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm'

Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?

Live well(*)...laugh often and heartily….be happy, have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

(*) More great toasts, this time courtesy of my neighbor Al:
• "Here's to tall ships, Here's to small ships, Here's to all the ships at sea. But the best ships are friendships, Here's to you and me."
• "Ships and seamen rot in harbor."
• "Our Country - to her we drink, for her we pray, Our voices silent never, For her we'll fight, come what may. The Stars and Stripes forever." - Stephen Decatur
• "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" - Kenneth Grahame, from the "Wind in the Willows".

No comments: