Monday, March 7

Is it possible to dig half a hole?

A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin, in response to last week’s question, “Is it possible to dig half a hole?”, my college roomie and sailor bud John wrote, “I do not think so - for a hole is a whole, not a half.” My birthday bud Jon came to the same conclusion, “Of course not. How could a half be a (w)hole?” My sailing friend Kurt added, “On the whole, I would have to say no. While it is possible to dig half the hole you intended, as soon as you dig any hole, you have dug a whole hole.”

My parrothead friend Sam challenged, “With a half-hearted effort, anything is possible!”

My neighbor Dick noted, “Yes, if you ask a half-wit to dig a hole and he does a half-assed job of it.” My friend Chris agreed, “It is possible if you half a$$ it...my brothers could attest to that. :) ” My friend Royce added, “It is if you are half in to it.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob observed, “Very easily done. Say you have a 10 foot pole...you only dig a 5 foot hole to insert it. A different situation when you have a few screwballs trying to balance the federal budget by increasing it beyond revenue levels. Then you don't have to dig a hole...you just screw them into the ground.”

My food festival and now running friend Henry shared, “You dig half a hole if you are burying only half your treasure in it. You have to dig the other half when you bury the other half (unless you do half again, which is called a half life?).”

My cousin Steve, who runs a construction company that among other things, digs holes, advised, “Whenever I find that I have dug myself into a hole, whether a half whole or a whole hole, I try to remember to just stop digging before it becomes a whole lot bigger.”

My flying friend Ted offered his dental perspective, “Yes, it's possible to drill half a hole, so you can dig a half hole. We most certainly charge less when we have to drill small holes rather than big ones, and most patients would agree when reviewing their credit card statements that half holes really do exist!!”

Leave it to my writing and sailing friend Rich to find a see things from a different angle when he wrote, “Is a hole that is half dug half full or half empty?”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

      Can you be past tense? with my neighbor Dick

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Thanks to my sailing friend Mike, who recalled The Beatles’ song about digging holes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DuHFjqBFI
- - - - - -
The number of pints being donated is growing! People are responding by email as well as visiting my “100 Pints” project on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/100-Pints/121406587930931?v=info Thanks for caring and please let me know if you’d like to know more. Hal

No comments: