Monday, March 28

Do tomatoes belong in a fruit salad?

A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin, In response to last week’s question, “Do tomatoes belong in a fruit salad? ”, my WV friend Mary Rich responded simply, “Euuwwwww….” while my birthday bud Jon clarified, “No, they belong in pasta sauce.” And my friend Kevin added, “No, there must also be a consistency of taste. Tomatoes do NOT have the same base taste (i.e. sweetness) that other fruits contain. Basically, I'm prejudiced against tomatoes.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob concluded, “Not if you are straight.”

However, my cable marketing friend Megan shared another perspective. “My very literal husband would say yes. He also very squarely places mushrooms in the fungi group and refuses to acknowledge them as a veggie!”

And my friend Richard sought a common ground, writing, “ Maybe a tomato is like Shimmer (for fans of the original Saturday Night Live crew). The tagline for Shimmer was “It’s not just a floor wax. It’s a dessert topping too!” So for the tomato, “It’s not just a fruit. It’s a veggie too!” Would that make it a bi-comestible? Or would it be a metro-comestible?”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

      What are you celebrating when you celebrate April Fool’s Day?

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Congratulations to my parents for being selected for a lifetime achievement award at their temple.

No comments: