Monday, May 14

Can a person be both intelligent and have common sense?


In response to last week’s question,  “Can a person be both intelligent and have common sense?”, my sailing and writing friend Rich, who’s grandmother told him, “possessing common sense is always preferable to being ‘smarter than your own good’.  An example of this in action would be ‘he was smart enough to know the answer to her question, but he didn't have the common sense to keep it to himself ’.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob concluded, “Not if they graduated from Harvard, Columbia or USC Berkley” while my friend countered, “Only if you are a Democrat.”  To these, my leadership development friend Stuart B advised, “Yes, but that combination absolutely prohibits his or her entry into politics.”

My friend Swany observed, “Intelligent and common sense, yes.  Intelligent, common sense and blonde, no.”  My poster-making friend Chris replied, “I would like to think it is very possible, but I have been wrong before...maybe, sortof, kinda, I am not sure...can I plead the fifth?”

And my friend Bruce responded simply, “Yes, I can.  ;-)   ”  

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Is silence an endangered species?

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

No comments: