Tuesday, May 29

Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?


In response to last week’s question,  “Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?”, my writing and sailing friend Rich concluded, “A wise man knows when to speak and when to listen, a wise guy knows neither.”  This might explain how my colleague Kosol responded, “because Men are an endangered species and Guys are a dime a dozen.”

My friend Stuart observed, “They are not opposites.  They just approach goals by different routes” to which my friend Richard countered, “I believe that it is because they live at opposite ends of a wiseacre!”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob noted, “The Wise Man, so much older, may drool a bit.  The Wise Guy just never stops slobbering all over himself.”

And my Yiddish loving friend Ira shared, “Perhaps they aren't opposites. My last name, although not spelled the same way, is typically pronounced "wise man" and there are certainly some who would call me a wise guy. So there.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why is it that women cook and men grill?

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive  quickly.

Hal

It is with the greatest of appreciation that we observed Memorial Day yesterday to remember those who gave their lives – and the families of those heroes -- to provide us with the freedoms we enjoy and cherish every day.

No comments: