Monday, May 21

Is silence an endangered species?


In response to last week’s question,  “Is silence an endangered species?”, my friend Royce concluded, “Only if you are married!” to which my cycling friend Ted daringly wrote, “Just spend an afternoon with my wife and kids and you'll see that silence is not endangered-- it's extinct!”

My friend Richard observed, “Facebook and Twitter seem to be the antidote to the old adage, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt," since people seem to say some incredibly foolish things using those media. I don’t know if it is endangered, but it most certainly is on life support!”

My social business professor Marya advised, “I’m chiming in on this one considering I'm a teacher and try to teach my students to stop, listen, think, then ask!  ;-)  Silence is only an endangered species when someone doesn't know how to listen.” 

My dad’s beach buddy Bob cautioned, “Mostly when it comes to national security and America's space program.”

My cousin Wes shared, “Yeah,  even when I am where there should be silence I hear ringing in my ears.”  My friend Stuart replied, “It has been since 1971, when we went off the GOLD(en) standard.”  And my poster making friend Chris wittingly wrote, “I am going to plead the fifth on this one, so my answer is..................”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?  

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Wishing my bride a happy anniversary this Sunday.  (I remembered on my own.)

No comments: