Monday, May 20

After graduation, are you graduated, gradual or something else?



In response to last week’s question, "After graduation, are you graduated, gradual or something else?", my writing and sailing friend Rich shared, "If my son is any indicator, you are depressed. Something about the real world and the party being over seems to be the cause."  To this, my dad's beach buddy Bob added, "you are oblivious to what will face you and how long it will take to pay off your student loan."

My friend Richard summarized, "After graduation, you are brain-fried.  In fact, the graduate’s brain is like Waffle House hash browns. It is scattered (Resumes sent all around the country, hoping one will lead to a job.), smothered (In debt), and covered (too exhausted to get out of bed)."

My flying and cycling friend Ted recalled, "I did graduate in pants size, but it was a gradual process."

My cousin Valarie observed, "Graduates are gradations of the people they will learn to be."  My lottery friend Effie added, "I can't speak as to WHAT someone is after graduation, but if my observations are accurate, it leads to the gradual but inevitable realization that graduation is when the really hard work BEGINS, not when it ends. 

My sailing friends Carolyn and Scott plus friend Kosol concisely lamented, "You are unemployed."  My friend Royce curtly wrote, " In this economy - Screwed!" to which my hiking friend Kelly added, "Gradually realizing that you’d be happy to accept a job as a stocker at Wal-Mart.  Welcome to Obama’s America!"

My birthday bud Jon shared, "From one with a high school senior in the house, the answer is something else: on the hook for lots of tuition."  My social collaboration friend Mark followed that with, "Once you graduate, you are commanded to immediately go back to school for your next level degree. And then repeat...at least until I find a job." 

But I think the final word goes to my niece Tracey and her friend, who graduate from high school this week, who declared, "a graduate."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
 
Did you ever stop to think, then forget to start again?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Hal
    
[Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.]

No comments: