Monday, March 3

What's the difference between a passion or an addiction?



In response to last week’s question, "What's the difference between a passion or an addiction?," my birthday bud Jon, who I've missed hearing from, concluded, "If I am obsessed with something, it’s  passion.  If you do, it’s an addiction."
My hiking friend Kelly explained, "Over the years, I’ve won awards and trophies for some of my “passions”.  I've never heard of anyone getting the “most crack smoked” or the “whodababydaddy” award!"  My engineering friend Steve suggested, "A psychiatrist’s diagnosis or a politician’s law I’d suppose."

My dad's beach buddy Bob observed, "For an addiction, you have to go into rehab to overcome it;  but a passion can disappear overnight."

My writing and sailing friend Rich advised, "When it's good for you, it's a passion, When it's bad for you, it's an addiction," to which my friend Royce added, "It's about a human hair."  My social media friend Mark shared a similar thought, "It is the exact same difference as eating what is good for you or food that tastes good," to which my dog rescue friend Kate described "Chocolate and alcohol."

My cycling friend Ted wrote, "A passion is something you love and is ultimately good for you, like cycling.  An addiction is something that feels really good and can cause financial or marital chaos, like flying a private plane!"

My neighbor Al replied, "Passion is only legal in Nevada and involves the use of your small head.  Addiction is legal in Colorado and Washington and involves your larger head.   Passion can lead to sharing of STD's and leads to a broken marriage.   Addiction leads to sharing snack foods and leads to Taco Bell."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
Do happy dogs have bigger tail muscles?  (from my friend John H)
We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal
     
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.





No comments: