Thursday, July 24

What is "pro"-crastination in favor of?



In response to last week’s question, "What is "pro"-crastination  in favor of?", my writing and sailing friend Rich advised, "We are in favor of taking time to smell the roses instead of mowing the grass; not bothering to get all hot and sweaty when there could be zombie apocalypse tomorrow; we are in favor of letting all things happen in their own sweet time, remember Rome was not built in day.  All of this is best expressed by the immortal Scarlett O'Hara, 'I'll think about it tomorrow, maybe'."

My dad's beach buddy Bob wrote, "It's the hope of never getting there."  To this, my social media friend Mark believes, "pro-crastination supports living in the moment. Knowing what to focus on now that is important, versus the things that will not matter one iota if I get hit by a bus when I leave work today."

My dog rescue and IT friend Corey declared, "I'm in favor of not calling it “concrastination” or “postcrastination”?  I mean, why do something today that you can easily put off till tomorrow after thinking too much…other than fishing or in my case “catching” of course.  Ha ha." 

My cousin Wes explained, "Pro-crastination is being in favor of waiting until later, like replying Tuesday instead of Monday.  It is from the Latin referring to a Roman Senator Crantis who could never make a decision."  My neighbor Al added, "Actually it's pro tomorrow from the Latin cras or crastinus (adjective) So for 'today,' why don't we say 'pre-crastinus'?  Yet the Latin for 'today' is hodie, so we could say 'post-hodie' because we all know that "hodie was heri's cras" (Yesterday was today's tomorrow)."

My cycling friend Ted, who recently turned 5-0 admitted, "Pro-crastination is in favor of putting off that colonoscopy! No lectures please!"

And my birthday bud Jon cautioned, "Not sure, but make sure you spell it VERY CAREFULLY!" which was right on target given my equestrian friend Royce's reply, "I don't know about you all, but castration should only be used for animals, and select pre-verts."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

How does one "make good time"?  (from my friend Lesley)

Never miss an opportunity to do something that makes you smile!

Hal

What a wonderful world we live in.  Thanks to hospice care, my mom was allowed to end her battle with lung cancer  on Wed with her dignity, with her class, and with minimal pain.  My love and thanks to my dad, for caring for my mom more than himself, to Alison and Zak for being so caring and supportive of our family, to my sister for so much time and effort with just about everything, to Rhoda, Erica, Paulette and Debbie for providing in-home care for both of my parents, and to the many, many, many friends, colleagues and family, including Henry and Candy, Barbara, Ed, Mike, Lesleigh and Ann who shared time, support and prayers over the past 2 months. 

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: