Monday, May 4

What is the opposite of planning?



In response to last week’s question, "What is the opposite of planning?",  my transportation logistics friend Joe declared, "Fatherhood."

My cycling friend Ted figured it was "Chillin' " while my neighbor Al said, "Reality.   Also, when I was in the Marine Corps one of our mottos was: Why plan when you can react!"

My friend Kevin suggested it was, "Standard Operating Procedures." Is this different than my equestrian friend Royce calling it, "a total screw up"?

My writing and sailing friend Rich  Jones concluded, "The opposite of planning is spontaneity; the result of spontaneity is sometimes exciting and magical, and sometimes spontaneity means the fire department is going to have to put out your couch."  To this, my cousin Wes described it as "Surprise!"

My sailing friend Norm,  being a financial planner, explained, "The opposite of planning is to do nothing and to hope things work out."

My temple friend Tracey quipped, "An event at the temple" (which another temple friend said not to mention so as not to offend our wives).

My social media friend Mark philosophized, "Religion. You either plan or you let Someone else do the planning for you."

My dad's beach buddy Bob revealed, "There isn't anything opposite.  If you want to spend the day in bed, you just go ahead and do it.  You don't even have to decide ahead of time what you will be having for lunch unless you have planned to stay in bed all day."   To this, my BBQ friend Alan described this as "Cruising."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What commences at graduation?

"Life may not be the party we had hoped for, but while we're here we should dance."

Hal

In response to ""Life may not be the party we had hoped for…. (above), my construction friend Fred noted, "You got that right.  Not only dance, but boogey!"

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

     






No comments: