Monday, August 31

Somewhere in the world a woman gives birth to a child every minute. What should we do for her?



In response to last week’s question, "Somewhere in the world a woman gives birth to a child every minute. What should we do for her?,"  my comedic Weather Channel friend Bruce cautioned, "Keep her away from Minutemen."

My temple friend Richard suggested, "Give her a lifetime supply of Pampers, Enfamil, and a Sleep Number Bed (She’s going to need a LOT of naps!)," while another temple friend, Bob advised, "We need to get her some type of birth control. One a minute is too much for one  woman."

My friend Lesley queried, "giving birth to a baby every minute is quite the feat and I would be curious as to what male can keep up with that pace?"

My cousin Valarie proposed, "sending her to Italy, where the birth rate has dropped to its lowest in 150 years! Maybe that will help, and if it doesn't, then she has had a nice vacation in my favorite European country. I'll be there next month but I won't promise to check in on her."

And my dental friend Andrew shared that "as a work colleague had a baby over the weekend, what should we do? Laugh, cry, pray?  Here is an old joke: "When you enter the world, you are crying and everyone else is laughing. When you leave the world, everyone else is crying, so you should be laughing!" Also, "your birth day (the day you are born) is the only day you are allowed to make your mama cry." Pray for all new mothers--they are angelic. God couldn't be everywhere, so he invented mothers."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Can you have baked fries?  from my recruiting friend Jason

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: