Monday, February 1

Why are there no female polygamists? + a Groundhog Day question

In response to last week’s question, "Why are there no female polygamists?,"  my writing and sailing friend Rich explained, "I asked my wife and she said that a Bee Hive has one queen, thousands of female drones to take care of her needs, and one male who dies as soon as his chore is done.  Who is she to argue with Mother Nature?"

My temple friend Richard advised, "I believe the reason there are no (or at least not many) female polygamists is that – unlike men – women try not to make the same mistake twice!"

Another temple friend, Tracey,  added, "Who's to say there aren't? I must say that I don't think I could handle two husbands. One is plenty for me." To this, my cable marketing friend Megan concurred, "Most women quickly realize that one husband is too much work.  Why do that to ourselves and double the work!"

My dad's beach buddy Bob responded, "I thought when they entered into such a relationship they also joined the clan.  Why do they always try to hang it on men?"

My birthday bud Jon admitted, "They are smarter than men," and my sailing friend Kate confirmed, "Because, as Harry Belafonte spelled it out in song: The Women are Smarter"…..as did the Robert Palmer and Grateful Dead.

When my equestrian friend Royce replied, "You can blame it on the Book of Mormon."   My sailing friend Norman queried, "Who said there are no female polygamists?  I bet there are many," to which my St George, UT friend Bruce declare, "But there are! I see them at Wal-Mart in their pioneer dresses in groups of three with their braided hair...SERIOUSLY!"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Did you just ask me if I ever had déjà vu? (in honor of the movie Groundhog Day)

Give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 
Hal

And from my cousin Sunny, whose always helpful advice is at http://suncoach.com/ shared a response to the earlier "What is a donation of your free time worth?," by writing, "Ah, Hal…I so love this question because it’s mostly what I do now – mentoring and coaching. Free. At this stage of my life, the giving is so important – it’s what makes me feel most alive. I’m sure you understand this, too, or you would never volunteer as much of your time as you do!"

Tomorrow is Groundhogs Day and my sailing friend Cindy's birthday…..so have some extra fun just for the health of it.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: