Monday, January 25

What is a donation of your free time worth?

In response to last week’s question, "What is a donation of your free time worth?," my videographer friend Ivan advised, "To the Sand Dollar that I spent 3 seconds to pick up and throw back in to the ocean, it meant everything."    To this, my cycling friend Ted added, "To those who need it, it's priceless!"   And my wise collaboration friend Tricia counseled, "A donation of one's free time is immeasurable. You can never know when you might change someone's life with a single moment, a smile, a kindness. And you may never know at all, however, you can be sure that doing good is never a waste of time or energy. Go out and donate your time."

My dad's beach buddy Bob noted, "It depends on your competence level in what you are offering," to which my temple friend Lesley expounded, "It is worth the gain to the cause receiving the donation plus whatever satisfaction one gains from helping."

My writing and sailing friend Rich declared, "If you have learned that there is no such thing as a free lunch after our time together, then my time with you will have been priceless."

My IT support friend Kosol replied, "Many people say time is money.  To me, time is more valuable than money.  You are unable to buy time that you have lost or time that has passed.  With everyone so busy with their lives, day to day tasks, and family,  being able to donate time to someone else or for a cause is truly priceless.  So when someone does donate their time, understand what they are sacrificing in their lives for you or your cause." 

My temple friend Richard pointed out, "Since price tends to rise as availability of a precious resource shrinks, I would say my free time is priceless. However, some would argue that 'valueless' is more accurate in my case. I’m not much, but I’m all I’ve got."

While my dog rescue CPA friend Kate replied, "A lot!," my social media friend Mark responded, "Whatever you can slip by the IRS," to which my equestrian friend Royce disclosed, "A value of my donated time is contingent upon whether or not I owe the IRS."

And my temple friend Bob again called upon his "uncle Leo, who says, 'it makes you feel good about yourself.' "

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why are there no female polygamists?

Give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 
Hal


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: