Monday, November 21

How can you tell who your friends are? plus a Thanksgiving question

In response to last week’s question, "How can you tell who your friends are?," my cousin Greg Faber proclaimed, " They are the people who laugh with you in the back seat of the cop car versus the people who bail you out."  

My collaboration friend Tricia replied, "This one is so easy. Friends are those who stay by your side even when you have absolutely nothing to offer them. I, for one, am grateful to call you my friend."  My neighbor Al went further, "The ones who don't ask me to pay back the money I owe them......"   My compliance friend  Karla shared, "I think you can tell who your friends are when things aren't going well and you might need help or encouragement.  And my artist friend Fred added, "My friends are those who don’t make me feel 'marginalized' or 'disenfranchised.' "

My writing and sailing friend Rich wrote based on experience, "In the sailing world, it is pretty easy.  If someone has spent a week on a boat with you and is willing to get on a another one with you, they are a friend." 

My temple friend Kevin explained, "They are the ones who know I am crazy, sometimes obnoxious, but would be there to help me at a moment's notice.  Kinda like you and Alison."
My birthday bud Jon replied, "Facebook?  At least it helps me know who my friends were in high school" while my equestrian friend Royce countered, "It certainly isn't the ones you see on Facebook."

My hiking friend Kelly revealed, "Tell them you’re gay.  That worked for me.  I am by the way.  You really find out who your real friends are."
My dad's beach buddy Bob recalled, "The wise person keeps them a little further from him than his enemies."

My temple friend Richard noted, "Echo location."

My social media friend Mark  announced, "They make you laugh once a week. Hmmm."

And my interfaith friend Debby pointed out, "I think last Thursday's celebration is just what we all need--it is one big example to show how diversity is fun, good, and a blessing. I love coming to the Ecumenical Thanksgiving Celebration every year and looking around the room at people from all cultures, religions, backgrounds.  The diverse faces are beautiful to behold, especially as we sing, reflect and later share food and make friends with one another. We all need to be able to be friendly, welcoming, kind and compassionate to everyone we meet. And a good laugh together helps too! I'm so thankful I was part of the planning committee this year--I learned so much and made some new friends."   Note:  Click here to watch the celebration on demand.

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

You can be full of thanks.  Can you be full of grate?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile.
Hal

Wishing you and your family a memorable Thanksgiving holiday.  May it be a time to enjoy your family, friends, good food and good times with excess of only good times..


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.

No comments: