Monday, November 14

Why can't we all just get along?

In response to last week’s question, "Why can't we all just get along?," my social media friend Mark asked, "A long what?"

My dad's beach buddy Bob concluded, "That is what the inhabitants of civilizations that disappeared did.  They just didn't want to get excited about the important things."   My cousin Greg concurred as he wrote, "Because we're lazy." 

My writing and sailing friend Rich wondered, "how many people would have answered that question same way if they had been asked it last Tuesday morning or Wednesday morning" to which my gemologist friend Bill added, "Hopefully this a question that we can all start trying to answer now." 

My PR friend Stan proclaimed, "Because we’d rather just have everyone agree with us."

My college roomie John recommended, "Serve me a good cold beer and I will get along with you" and my hiking friend Kelly advised, "Not enough people smoke the green version of tobacco?"   (As of last week, AK, CA, CO, MA, ME and NV should be getting along better.)

My collaboration friend Tricia pondered, "Maybe the question is why do people have to be so mean!?!  Or, how boring would it be if we all just compromised on everything and got along? But with no excitement, disappointment, or disagreement. Seems like the unanswered question."   To this, my managed IT services friend Kosol agreed,  "If we did, there wouldn't be any drama or excitement.  You don't want to miss out on excitement would you? "  (Like missing a reality show?)

And my cycling friend Ted contemplate, "This 'Hmmm' thread has been about humor, but in this case, I think it's time for a very serious answer. I remember in the 90's a very simple man named Rodney King. He was a victim of police brutality, which set off race riots in LA. I was always struck by the very poignancy of this simple question from a simple person that has such an inextricably complex answer, which to this day I still cannot entirely answer."

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

How can you tell who your friends are?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile
Hal

If you want proof that people are healing and getting together since the very mean election, please join us online Thu at 7:00p for something I'm involved in that is very powerful.  And if you are in East Cobb, join us in person.  Click here for details.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.

No comments: