Monday, October 16

What makes something edible?

In response to last week’s question, “What makes something edible?,” my adjunct executive friend Lindy observed, “Anything is edible that someone is willing to put in their mouths.  Volunteering in church nursery, I’ve seen that absolutely everything is edible – if it can be put in your mouth, it’s edible” to which my dad’s beach buddy Bob added, “when you get beyond the smell.”

My writing and sailing friend Rich concluded, “Edible means you can eat it and survive. Delicious means you can eat it and get fat and happy.” My cycling friend Ted called out, “There is great Wisdom in Brevity, so: BBQ Sauce!” And my temple friend Vivian’s brevity was, “When it’s chocolate!”

My temple friend Richard shared, “My philosophy has always been that if I am hungry enough, I will eat anything that isn’t nailed down…and if I can pry it loose, it isn’t nailed down!  The other great description that I once heard (and have used more than once) is ‘I’m so hungry I could the northbound end of a southbound skunk.’ ” 

When my temple friend Bob  declared, “Hunger,” my social media friend Mark expounded, “Only two things. 1. Hunger (I’m gonna starve if I don’t eat something”) and 2. Alcohol (“hey y’all, watch me eat this”)

My cousin Wes  replied, “If doesn't kill you or make you deathly ill, with exception of anything made of beets (except sugar beets), or slimmy cooked spinach, or liver or….enough said.”

My neighbor Al noted, “Ed has the same rights as anyone. So you have to look at Ed's capabilities and limitations to see if he is able.”  My cousin Valarie agreed, sharing, “If it's something my favorite uncle, Ed, is willing to do, it's edible. And he's willing to do a lot--he has wound layers and layers of fabric around the frame of a Piper Cub airplane* to restore it (and then flown it for years!), played handball for decades, climbed Machu Picchu in his 70s. So anything adventuresome that brings joy to life is Edible.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

      Why is it called Uranus? (From my disc golf friend Blake)

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

*The Piper J-3 Cub is an American light aircraft that was built between 1937 and 1947, its fuselage a welded steel frame covered in fabric, seating two people in tandem. And I remember as an adult sticking my finger out through the gap where the door was held in place by a slide bolt!

Syracuse over #2 Clemson in football.  Syracuse’s biggest victory in, well, um, this century.  ;-)

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.


No comments: