Monday, October 2

Who is a travel agent for a guilt trip?

In response to last week’s question, “Who is a travel agent for a guilt trip?”,

Rich Jones For my sins the list is long and full of annoyed women. His is why my grandmother told me that I need to start every conversation I have with a woman with “I’m sorry”.  

My cousin Greg declared, “Usually my mother,” to which my adjunct executive friend Lindy pointed out, “In my experience, Catholic mothers but my son says mothers in general.” 

My temple friend Tracey said, “Definitely a Jewish mother” which she is one of.  My PR friend Stan and cycling friend Ted agreed, “A Jewish mother. Nu, who else?”  And my temple friend Lesley added, “Any Jewish female who is someone's Mother or Grandmother.”  (Best wishes to Lesley and his wife Melanie on their son’s bar mitzvah this weekend.)

My temple friend Richard explained, “Parents in general, and Jewish mothers, in particular, are the expert travel agents for guilt trips.  In fact, they will book your trip free of charge, even if you hadn’t planned to take the trip at all!  They are Travelocity and Trivago all rolled into one for guilt trips.  They get you there fast and there’s always room for you at the Heartbreak Hotel.  My college roomie John concurred, “As parents, we are guilty.”

My equestrian friend Royce replied, “Anyone that you can blame.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

      Is judging the fun part?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: