Monday, January 22

f you type "hell" into a GPS, where does it send you?

In response to last week’s imponderable question, “If you type "hell" into a GPS, where does it send you?,” my managed IT friend Kosol documented, “Hell is exactly 597miles away (from ATL) according to WAZE.  Tread lightly.”  My birthday bud Jon expounded, “Hell, Michigan, which does, in fact, freeze over every year.”  My PR friend Stan added, “This is northwest of Ann Arbor where I worked with a fellow reporter at the Bay City Times who said that whenever his editor told him to “to go to hell,” he turned in an expense report for 160 miles.

And my hiking friend Kelly recalled, “I saw a collectible, ‘Miracle Jesus’ action figure with glow in the dark miracle hands in the Hell, MI General Store once!”

My sailing friend Norm recalled, “On a sandbar when the tide is going out!  Then you scream, ‘Oh Hell!’ "

My adjunct executive friend Lindy lamented, “For Georgia sports fans, hell sent you to the College Championship game with UGA and then the Falcons playoff game 5 days later.  This coming baseball season, hell will probably send you to many Braves games.

My college roomie John replied, “New Jersey” without commenting about former Gov. Christie and my dad’s beach buddy Bob declared, “A cheese factory.”

My interfaith friend Ann noted that unlike Waze, “Google Maps says "no results for Hell." So if Google says it doesn't exist, then we can safely say it doesn't exist.  Hmm, has anyone goggled Google?”

My cousin Greg responded, “I work with lawyers so does that send me to the 9th circle of hell, (as referenced in Dante's Inferno)?”

My equestrian friend Royce called out, “The White House,” to which my temple friend Kevin concurred, “Currently, the Oval Office in Washington, D.C.  And yes, that was lay-up.  Given my basketball abilities, I have to take as many lay-ups as possible.”

My social media friend Mark quipped, “It slipped into ‘time travel mode’ and took me back to election results night” to which my cycling friend Ted added, “The same place Donald goes when he types "Sh—hole."  (Unlike NPR and others, we can retain our couth while providing clear information).

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Do you have a spiritual goal? 

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Many thanks to my friends who were so compassionate about my hernia surgery last Thu (and thanks for the chuckles from those who thought compassion was unnecessary).  Recovery should take 2 more weeks and I’m only so good at taking it easy for so long.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: