Monday, July 23

What is the difference between a ‘fat chance’ and a ‘slim chance’?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What is the difference between a ‘fat chance’ and a ‘slim chance’?,” my temple friend Richard calculated “about 1200 calories/day” while another temple friend Lesley thought it was,”a few thousand calories!”  My real estate friend Lara replied, “The smart-ass answer is of course, “About 50 pounds!". Or, taken in relation to last week’s question, “A daily dose of DQ Double-dipped.”

My flower shop friend Bruce then concluded, “It’s your ability to religiously stick to that new exercise and diet regimen for six months.”

Cousin Wes observed “Fat chance is micro-aggression against obese people, where as slim chance is less so. Other than that nothing. It is like your Mom saying ‘Maybe’, which meant ‘No’.”  My birthday bud Jon added, “Same as the difference between ‘I could care less’ and ‘I couldn’t care less’.”

My sales friend Gus called out, “A slim chance is the ‘politically correct’ way of saying a fat chance. Don’t want anybody shaming when it comes to chance,” to which my social media friend Mark added, “For some odd reason, I’m afraid I’ll offend someone by answering a slim/fat ponderable. Ahhh, political correctness gone wild.”

My PR friend Stan determined that it is “the degree of sarcasm elevation” to which my sailing friend Norm expounded, “Fat chance and slim chance are used to mean the same thing. The difference is 'slim chance' is used literally. The speaker means you have little or no chance of success. 'Fat chance' is slang and it's sarcastic. The speaker doesn't mean you have a big chance, he means you have little chance! Also 'fat chance is most often used as a separate sentence to remark on what was just said. 'You think she'll lend you her car? Fat chance!'”  And the interjection 'big deal!' is used in a similar way to refer to something that is unimportant or unimpressive (= not big).”

My secretive friend Rutherford challenged the sarcasm observation with, "Fat chance" is ironic.”

My business coaching friend Stuart artfully wrote, “perCHANCE it is the CHANCEllor of waist inCH ANCEstry.”

My equestrian friend Royce suggested, “Donald Trump and Barack Obama, respectively.”

My comedic friend Bruce quipped, “I want that DQ chocolate cone. Slim chance that I'll say no to eating it and there's a fat chance that I won't gain weight.”  My temple friend Viv followed with, “another response to last week’s ice cream question and to this week's question -- July 15th was National Ice Cream Day, and it was no chance--fat or slim--to miss celebrating with a hot fudge sundae.   We absolutely need to celebrate National Holidays.”

My cousin Valarie remarked, “It’s counterintuitive.  A fat chance means no chance at all, while a slim chance offers some chance, albeit slim.”  And my sales friend Ray declared, “No chance!”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Is “holler at” good or bad? (with my colleague Kelly)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Hal
              
Happy birthday to my best friend on Thu.  No, not Mick Jagger.  It’s Alison’s birthday.

Healthcare: Can’t live with it; can’t live without it.   If you know a small business who is complaining about the high cost of healthcare, or doesn’t offer healthcare benefits because it is too expensive, please introduce me to them.  We’re understand the pain point and have a solution.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: