Tuesday, January 8

Where do you go for advice for a New Year's resolution?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Where do you go for advice for a New Year's resolution?,” my temple friend Richard pondered, “One definition of “resolution” (per the Merriam-Webster On-line Dictionary is “the subsidence of a pathological state (such as inflammation).” Ergo, it would seem that one should see a qualified mental health professional to cure  resolutions.  In short, you do not have to be insane to make resolutions, but it apparently helps!”

With that in mind, my social media friend Mark replied, “Never thought of asking anyone else what I ought to do to improve. I’m sure the list would be way too long,” to which my sailing friend Norm explained, “my spouse has my resolutions all set out for me.”  And my PR friend Stan shared a longer list of sources, “My wife...my kids and grandkids...my doctor...my financial advisor...  I don’t have to go to them. I just compile their suggestions over the year.” 

My Utahan friend Bruce surmised, “You don’t have to go anywhere , as they automatically come to you via your mother-in-law... by the way: it’s true name is not New Year’s Resolutions. The correct term is ‘yearly promises I make to myself that I have no contractual or legal obligation to fulfill.’”

My birthday bud Jon “Turns to the answers to the previous 51 weekly ‘things make you go ‘Hmmm.’ I’m sure that is worthwhile advice in there somewhere” while my dad’s beach buddy Bob gets advice from “last year’s resolutions.”

My business development friend Ray noted, “Like the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, I do not believe in New Year's resolutions. In perpetual motion, I resolve to do the right things throughout the year and if I don't, I resolve to rectify those missteps. Happy New Year!”

And with all of this insight, my adjunct executive fiend Lindy shared, “This year I am making resolutions I can keep: to gain weight, be impatient, and argue over things that don’t matter.”


Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Where’s Elvis? (in memory of Elvis Presley’s birthday on Jan 8*)

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 

Hal

My friend Dov makes “educational video games” to aid in employee (and first responder) training.  He took out time to play and share Sneezins Greetings.   Enjoy.

*Elvis Presley was born 1/8/1935 and Tuesday would have been his 84th birthday but he died in 1977 at the age of 42.  Next year we’ll ask who is the new Elvis (if there is one)?

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: