Monday, January 28

What is public service?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What is public service?,” my equestrian friend Royce wrote, “it is usually service paid for by the public that benefits others,” to which my temple friend Tracey observed, “Public service is what all of the government employees that are not receiving paychecks right now yet continue to go to work every day  are doing.”  My attorney friend Philip expounded, “Public service is when a government employee shows up for work without pay despite a megalomaniac's temper tantrum over not getting his way with a stupid **** wall.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob lamented a more general observation, “Certainly not in political office where they help themselves.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Would you rather be right or happy?

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 

Hal

Do you know someone who has the same sense of humor you and I do?  I’m happy to include them on my weekly distribution if you’ll either send me their name/email address, or any other introduction.  Remember, humor helps most things.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: