Tuesday, January 15

Where’s Elvis?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Where’s Elvis?,” my temple friend Richard declared, “Elvis is the night manager at the Heartbreak Hotel. Apparently, he does a lounge show there too.  The lounge serves a very nice steak called Love Me Tender,”  to which my engineering friend Steve pointed out, “He’s in Vegas of course; I see him multiple times and places when I’m out there for work. He’s either cloned himself or he’s a really fast runner!”   My sailing friend Norm “saw Elvis on my cruise ship this past week while we were cruising on the The Royal Princess in the western Caribbean.  Really did see him (or perhaps an impostor?) .”

My college roomie John provided proof that “Elvis is everywhere; check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7NWXJ8iPQw,” to which my writing and sailing friend Rich provided the lyrics,  https://youtu.be/VSZkf1hdupA.

My interfaith friend Ann replied, “He’s all over my cousin's house!  And my cousin wasn't born until 1986.  Maybe he IS Elvis.  He even went to college in Memphis so that he could work at Graceland (he's from Colorado).”

My equestrian friend Royce declared that “Elvis is in Memphis, TN a few mile south of Beale Street.”  And my business development friend Ray called out, “He’s somewhere between a jelly donut and a big ol ham sandwich, and still all shook up of course!  Long live The King! BTW, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news broke that Elvis died.”

My temple friend Lesley and sailing friends Kurt & Connie noted, “I believe Elvis has left the building,” to which my cousin Greg opined, “Elvis is on the island with Biggie and Tupac.”

And my social media friend Mark provided the summary, “He’s alive in all our hearts.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

What is public service? (in honor of MLK Day next Monday, Jan 21)

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 

Hal

 The day recalling the memory of Martin Luther King and his wonderful view of diversity has been expanded to include awareness of doing public service.  What a great way to spend some time, either on the 21st, or some other day this month.

Responses to this week’s imponderable question will be on Mon, Jan 28 so that Alison and I can escape reality and spend the week of Jan 20 in the Caribbean.  Catch ya when we return.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: