Tuesday, February 12


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What’s the purpose of a beard? (in honor of Abe Lincoln’s birthday on Feb 12),”  my birthday bud Jon called-out, “It’s a distraction while my equestrian friend Royce shared the practical aspects, “It keeps your face warm in winter and the gnats away in summer.”

My IT support friend Kim declared, “A beard is like a bib.  It’s so you can catch all your food and save it for later,” to which my cousin Greg added, “It’s a good old-fashioned flavor saver.”

My temple friend Kevin noted, “To avoid shaving as much as possible,” while my sailing friend Norm countered, “It tickles the thi....s !”

My writing and sailing friend Rich explained, “To cover up for the fact that your genome does include number 157 (Kirk Douglas Chin) – Of course the one who passed on that genome to me, dear old dad used to say about my beard, “I don’t know why you are cultivating something on your face that I’ve got growing wild on my back side.”  

My friend in Utah Bruce  expounded, “The purpose of a beard is an outward social visual clue that you are not a hypocrite...follow me on this...As a man matures the  physical normal response to testosterone is the growth of facial hair. Now mixing this with the Peter Pan Principle that all men wish to remain boys, the subject (in an effort to appear young) removes the facial hair - thus becoming a hypocrite.” 

And my PR friend Stan suggested, “The beard could be considered the world’s first tracking device for men. The razor became a stealth device.”
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Is chocolate the answer? May Valentine’s day be a to appreciate those who love you.

Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

And for Thu, love the one your with:  Aretha, and by  CNSY.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: