Monday, April 26

Why do you write something down, but type it up?

In response to last week’s question, "Why do you write something down, but type it up?", my overworked friend Kevin, his wife Tracey, my dad's beach buddy Bob and my very logical former colleague Chris wrote, " Writing is almost always a downward action, pen to paper. With the original version of typing, the keys on the old typewriters flew up out of the carriage and so did the paper you installed in it. That is on the up and up."

My pilot friend Ted responded, "Beats the heck out of me!! What does that say about our English teachers?" To this his wife Carey, a teacher, observed, "as long as you turn it IN."

My friend Swany and my sailing friend Rich concluded, " Your focus is ‘down’ when writing on paper while your focus is ‘up’ at the monitor when typing something." Swany added, "Gosh, I guess my wit is absent this Monday."

My long-lost podcaster and food blogger friend, Veggie Val, has offered a different version. "'Typing it up' comes from having to pull the paper up to get it out of a typewriter when you’re done with it. That might explain why with computers, we get a print “out” indicating sideways delivery of the printed page. Writing something down probably came from having to bend down over the paper, parchment or stone tablet to work. In outer space, however, they actually can write something up!

My college roomie John asked, "Who writes things especially cursive, anymore? Maybe for a signature, but then a lot of signatures look like a wavy line." Then my friend Royce concluded, "sounds like a sexual problem, dude."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?

Live well...laugh often and heartily….be happy, have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

No comments: