Monday, July 16

Should you fix stupid, or just sedate it?


In response to last week’s question,  “Should you fix stupid, or just sedate it?”, my cable marketing friend Megan concluded, “I’ve never experienced “stupid” that was worth the trouble to fix it.”  My neighbor Al noted, “Stupid is relative. Didn't Einstein try to explain relatives?”

My DISH friend John shared, “Unfortunately, like cancer, we still haven't found the cure.  And with sedation, like other pain killers, stupid builds up tolerance until it no longer has any impact on the target.  Our only option is to continue down the path we have always taken; gather up as much stupid as we can and (every 2, 4 or 6 years) send it to Washington.”  To this, my birthday bud Jon countered, “Just stop electing it to Congress,” which would also address my dad’s beach buddy Bob’s observation, “You expose it and let the Supreme Court deal with it.”

 My engineering friend Steve recommended, “If you stop saving stupid it should fix itself eventually,” which my sailing friend Kurt shared, “Just let Darwin handle it.”  My friend Brad added, “Maybe this is a little harsh, but fix it so it can’t multiply” to which my friend Royce encouraged, “Why postpone it?”


Then my friend Kosol challenged, offering this wisdom, “Just as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so is stupidity.  What one person may seem as being stupid, another may see as being clever.  So it's hard to say if stupid can be fixed or not.  I only say that because most of the things I've done in life may have seemed to stupid to others but have since paid off for all.”   My friend Chris had a similar view, writing, “Ignorance is not bliss, it is oblivious...you can't know you are stupid about something if you don't know about it in the first place...so I say let it be free like the founding fathers designed it to be...sometimes you are not the exception to the rule, but you are an example that we all try not to follow. If it’s not free to be stupid then how are we all going to learn what NOT to do?”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
What do you do if you can't stand the heat when you're not in the kitchen?
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

No comments: