Monday, October 22

When is there no substitute?



In response to last week’s question,  “When is there no substitute?”,  my dad’s beach buddy Bob replied, “Only on your wedding day” while my neighbor Al questioned, “You mean besides me?”

My golden retriever rescue friend Kate declared, “Butter - none.  Your favorite teacher - none.  Vacation at the beach – none,” to which my cycling friend Ted added, “When it's a Porsche.  It's that simple!”

My writing and sailing friend Rich concluded, “The minute she decides what she wants.”
My poster-making friend Chris explained, “When you already have one...as in there is no substitute for the substitute [insert appropriate response] i.e. Teacher.”

My birthday bud Jon, cousin Greg and my colleague Kelly noted, “When the teacher shows up.”  Then my friend Tracey added, “On Mondays and Fridays when teachers call in "sick" most often.”  To this, my sailing friend Brad recalled, “When I was in school, it was usually the Friday before the GA-FL football game because everyone was in Jacksonville.  The school board finally wised up and just made it an official fall break.”

My dad noted it is ”in soccer when all the reserves receive red cards for unsportsman-like conduct.”

And then my Dish friend Kendra shared a wonderful memory, writing, “Hard work! My father made sure my brothers and I knew this from a very young age. Every school day, for as long as I can remember, my father’s final thoughts before heading off to work: “There is no substitute for hard work.  Put G-d first, and give 110%.” 

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Can you have bad luck when it comes to thinking?     

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive  
quickly.

Hal

Our thoughts and prayers are with my neighbor Dick, who contributes periodically to Hmmm, for a speedy recovery.

Make plans to vote for the candidate of your choice.

No comments: