Monday, February 2

What makes the Super Bowl so super? and Groundhog Day update



In response to last week’s question, " What makes the Super Bowl so super?", my temple friend Paul replied, "Regretfully I can’t think of anything, I feel so deflated."

Fortunately my writing Stan had an answer, "It's so over the top - and sometimes you get a really good football game, too," to which my Utah friend Bruce described the super as "Marketing..."    My temple friend Richard then added, "Well, there usually are a lot of great commercials, and the food at Super Bowl parties is typically first-rate*.  As for the game:  Meh. (About 70% of the time, the game is a blowout, including last year’s 43-8 demolition of the Denver Broncos by the Seattle Seahawks.), and the pregame shows start about 10 hours before kick-off (When the hype takes 3 times as long as the game, the game almost always has to be a letdown.). Let the festivities begin!     *It should be noted that Super Bowl Sunday is the 2nd highest caloric intake day of the year in the US.

My equestrian friend Royce noted, "All of the Winners get to go to Disney Land and meet Mr. Measles."

My sailing friend Jim asked, "Is it?" to which my engineering friend Steve explained, "The commercials of course!" and my feline loving friend Tracey  added, "the ads and the food."

My birthday bud Jon wrote what makes the Super Bowl super is "Joe Namath."  With my being a Baltimore Colts fan, I guess we equal in not getting over some things.

My other equestrian friend Jodie responded, "This year it's because the Patriots are in it. I will even seek out a TV to watch it. I may not even take a book with me. Perhaps I'd best look somewhat informed and find out who the other team is. Here Google Google!"

And my dad's beach buddy Bob shared, "We have a super bowl here.  You pay $25, get a designer bowl and all the soup you can eat. The funds go to pay for a Habitat House.  BTW: All the Patriots players would vote for their coach and the diamond rings he will get for them."   To this, my temple friend Paul added, "A wild boar would root for Belichik like a truffle in the ground.  Hmmm, come to think of it, I don’t think a boar would root for him either.   GO JETS!"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Do you have a shadow at night?

Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  

Hal

Thanks to technology, groundhogs now provide regional prognostication.  Check out this link for regional results, where Atlanta's General Beauregard Lee is rated as #3 in the US.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

     



No comments: