Monday, November 23

Can you have an enlightening bolt? and a Thanksgiving question



In response to last week’s question, "Can you have an enlightening bolt?,"  my writing and sailing friend Rich replied, "My wife calls that a sharp blow to the back of my head, otherwise known as the dope slap."

My dad's beach buddy Bob recalled that such a bolt was "one that fits into a nut the first time you try."

My temple friend Richard advised, "If you get hit by lightning, it would definitely be enlightening, as you would realize it isn’t enjoyable and would not go outside in a lightning storm. However, if you are caught on the golf course during a lightning storm, you should hold a 1-iron over your head. Even G-d cannot hit a 1-iron.   Or, if by “bolt” you mean a bolt of cloth, then you should at least make sure it is in your color palette. If it isn’t, you will look funny, and THAT would be enlightening as well."

My sailing friend Norm remembered, "As I was fixing a light fixture this weekend, one of the bolts holding the hanger bracket fell onto my head.  It was an 'Enlighting Bolt' ".  

My social media friend Mark shared, "Yes. I've seen it myself. I was trying to do my own electrical repairs (always a great idea), and when I felt a flash of energy and light, and I also saw God and my entire life in front of me. It truly enlightened me to get a guy to do my electrical work if I want to continue my life."

And my piano playing friend Ira replied, "I have read of many people who would bolt from anything enlightening, especially on Facebook. I didn't see any of those people on Thursday's at the Ecumenical Thanksgiving Celebration

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
Why do we take so much food on Thanksgiving?
Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  
Hal

With the recent tragedies caused by terrorists misusing religion, click here to view our 11th annual Ecumenical Thanksgiving Celebration, where speakers expressed how Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Sikhism support each other.

This is the time of year to pause to appreciate the many wonderful things we have in our life.  I am grateful to have my wife, son, dad and family in my life, my temple family, my sailing family, my dog rescue family and my work family which includes those at TAG.  The more I give to them, the more I get in return.  And for this, I'm very, very thankful.

And thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: