Monday, January 30

hat do you do when the Super Bowl is on?

In response to last week’s question, "What do you do when the Super Bowl is on?," my northern sister-in-law up north Lorrie boasted, "During the Super Bowl, I will look forward to watching Roger Goodell shaking Tom Brady's hand as he gives Tom his MVP award.  I hope I haven't jinxed anything saying this.  You know we New Englanders tend to worry about jinxes."

My temple friend Richard wrote, "Normally I watch the Super Bowl with interest because I am a football fanatic. This year, with the Falcons playing in it, I will also watch with heart palpitations and a churning stomach," which led my cycling friend Ted to profess, "This year? Pray! Baruch Hashem!"
    
My social media friend Mark replied, "Hit the head, grab some chips and dip, and return to the TV for the commercials," which aligns with my writing and sailing friend Rich, who shared, "Make sure that my wife does miss a single Clydesdale commercial."  Similarly, my PR friend Stan plans to " Immerse myself in the game, sanctimoniously judge the commercials and overeat."   My equestrian friend Royce lamented, "Cut my girl friend OFF!"

My dad's beach buddy Bob, who is in SC, declared, "make a huge bowl of popcorn, grab a cold beer and watch the game until it is a blowout on either side then turn the channel to SCETV for great programming."

My sailing friend Norm cautioned, "I am on a diet and going to lose 20 lbs by April 15.  So what I do is watch the game, not the carbs everyone else is consuming!"

And then my finance consultant friend Sam challenged, "I think about how little viewership the Super Bowl gets  (115M) compared to El Classico (1B viewers worldwide) which happens at least twice per year. Makes you wonder “hmmm”, the “super” bowl ain’t so super!

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Can you accidentally eat too much?  from my marketing friend Barry

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile.
Hal


Falcons to the Super Bowl!  Fun 'alternate fact' found online:
Super Bowl 51 Odds
OPENING ODDS
WEEK 1
New England Patriots
8-1
6-1
Atlanta Falcons
40-1
80-1
…..Patriots are now favored by just 3 points in a game predicted to have 58 points scored.   Rise up! Go Falcons!


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: