Monday, February 26

What does Presidents Day celebrate?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What does Presidents Day celebrate?,” my dad’s beach buddy Bob declared, “Who knows?  It used to be to celebrate the lives of great men who sacrificed much to build a great nation, but the loonies now try to destroy the memory of their selfless sacrifices,” to which my cycling friend Ted suggested, “we celebrate the days when the presidents didn't have mental illness.”  This led my my sister-in-law Lorrie called out, “I am cancelling Presidents Day this year.”

My cousin Greg replied, “The 45 men who were crazy enough to want the job.”  My social media friend Mark observed, “Simply honoring all presidents’ existence...which we this year also call it “mother” day in honor of our current one.”

My cousin Wes lamented, “Synergy, the business buzzword for eliminating and squeezing more from what is left. We uses to have two holidays, Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday. Now we have one and probably most of us get to work that day. Less becomes more at the expense of the hoipolloi.”

My temple friend Tracey explained, “Retail sales to get rid of the last bit of overstocked holiday stuff before inventory, and a day off work,” to which my equestrian friend Royce noted, “Discounts at LL Bean.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Do twins ever realize that one of them is unplanned?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.


No comments: