Monday, February 5

What is better the second (or third) time?

In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What is better the second (or third) time?,” my social media friend Mark lamented, “Anything I post online. It seems as soon as I hit send, I have a better way to say ‘it.’”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob called out, “Renewing your marriage vows....every 10 years for 60 years.”

My writing and sailing friend Rich noted, “Depends on whether you are making love or hitting your thumb with a hammer,” to which my production management friend Ray explained, “They say that ‘Love is so much lovelier the second time around’, or was that the third, no wait, maybe the fourth, perhaps the fifth?  I think a more appropriate saying is ‘When at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try ..... again!  For you know, practice makes perfect.’  In this case, I have to be getting close to walking on water!”

My adjunct executive friend Lindy pointed out, “Football games that end with your team winning; certain leftovers; hearing the words I Love You – the second time, third time, fourth . . .”

My cousin Greg observed, “Reincarnation. According to ancient Hindu belief as you are reborn from body to body you strive to live better lives, so that eventually you are no longer reborn but ascend to the heavenly plane of existence.”

My podcasting friend Jason declared, “Easy for me....next morning Carvel Cake.  G-rated answer and mighty tasty,” to which cycling friend Ted concurred, “Ice cream! It just keeps getting better and better!”   My birthday bud Jon expounded on this, “Leftovers, flashbacks, and, for our president, marriage.  Or maybe not….”

My equestrian friend Royce  replied, “To paraphrase an old song:  ...is better the second time around. Ergo, the third time should be much better, he said with a sly grin,” to which my temple friend Bob added, “Do you have to ask?  To further illustrate, at my age, the second time I have sex in an evening is definitely better than the first.  The second time (there won't be a third time) you're not so rushed and anxious.  There's also the celebration factor that you were able to get to the second time.

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

What type of person talks during the ads and what type of person talks during the game?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Congrats to the Phila Eagles for showing what a back-up quarterback can do --- including catching a touchdown pass. Fun, fun game watching the underdog win….while the eTrade ad hit close to home for some friends.

On a sad note, thank you to our many friends and family for their condolences for the passing of our dog, Sarah.  The stories and pictures that you’ve shared helped tremendously.  Our grief is turning to joy as we remember how much fun she brought to friends and people we had just met.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: